Whether you are strictly adhering to a keto diet or not, it can often be difficult to find a low-carb, keto friendly, high-protein sandwich recipe.
With 46% fewer carbs than most commonly available wheat toast breads, our Lizza Low Carb Toast Squares are ideal for making keto or low-carb sandwiches. What’s more, because they contain 15g of protein per 100g, they’re a great way to increase your protein intake.
Here is one recipe that is packed with protein, low in carbs, and full of nutrients. Smokey, BBQ(ish) flavour with melted cheese makes this sandwich simply delicious!
Smokey Tempeh and Sundried Tomato Pesto Sandwich
- 1 pack of tempeh, sliced
- Sundried tomato pesto
- 1 Toast Square, sliced in half
- ½ a ripe avocado, sliced (optional)
- Cheese of your choice (vegan cheese to keep this recipe vegan - optional)
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp coconut oil or ghee
- 1 tsp smoked paprika or chipotle
- Place the tamari, maple syrup, coconut oil/ghee, paprika/chipotle in an oven proof dish and whisk together to make a marinade.
- Place the tempeh in the marinade and coat both sides.
- Place the dish with the tempeh and marinade into an oven at 190°C for around 30 minutes or until the tempeh has absorbed the marinade.
- Toast the sliced Lizza Toast Squares.
- Spread a good dollop of sundried tomato pesto over one slice of toast.
- Place the tempeh strips on top of the pesto.
- Top with the cheese and then place under a hot grill until the cheese has melted slightly (optional).
- Place the sliced avocado on top followed by the salad and the final slice of toast square and enjoy.